Friday, July 31, 2009

Camp

Well where to start! Our theme was Oh, the places you'll go. From the doctor Suess book. I have plenty of places I would like to go! BYU, be married in the temple, another country and many others, but that had me thinking a lot about where I would like to go. Plus we made envelopes for our patriarchal blessings. Which was ironic because I've been wanting to get mine. So.. when I do I will have a pretty envelope to put it in :D
Camp started on monday for me. We went to Kent State main and we were working on team work and cheering each other on. They had a rope to climb, a ladder, and a plank that had steps all around it. I did the last one and made it to the top. Then we also climbed a rock wall. I got to the middle and I couldn't reach the next one. I missed it, and wanted to quit, but everyone said I could do it. & sure enough when I started going up again I got to the top. I was pretty nervous about it, but it was still really fun!
Then everyone came on tuesday. I was over 1st years (12 year olds) They were all cute! It rained, but luckily the tent I was in didn't get too wet. I'm getting the days mixed up so I'll just not say the days. We had a lady come talk to us and she had a little slide show she was really amazing. Talking about her family and the trials they have been through and how temples have really come a long ways. Wish I could remember her name, but she was still soo good. We went paintballing which I didn't want to go. I didn't want hurt, or to hurt someone else.. We shot rifles and I did that ;) I got the bulls eye.
I think that thursday was by far the best day, and most spiritual. President Kirk came and talked to us. He read us a list he wrote for his daughter of things that would help her know him better. So he gave everyone a piece of paper to do the same with four categories. I didn't get much done, but this is what I put. Well I can't believe I can't find it.. I must have left it :( Well I guess I will do it again.
LOVE:
* The gospel and all its brought me.
* My family and friends.
* People that can always make me happy.
* Visiting new places.
* Visiting people I haven't seen in a long time.
* A nap after a long day.
* A good book on a slow day.
* Chocolate covered oreos.
TOLERATE:
* People that view things differently.
DETEST:
*People that eat with they're mouth open/ don't have manners.
* People that argue and don't listen to the other side.
* Laziness
* People that try to be something they're not.
AVOID:
* People that will bring me down.
* Places I know I shouldn't be.
* Some parties.
* Uncomfortable situations.
After he talked we had a testimony meeting. That was definitely emotional for a lot of people! I usually don't cry so I wasn't so happy that I did, but I totally couldn't help it. Crying in public is not my thing, but we were around a fire so a lot of people couldn't see me. Cassandra W. started talking about them moving and everything. I'm so sad about that :( Then when she was done and we were both crying she smiled at me and nudged me to go. Sandra D. already went so I was like I better. It was good. Everyone did a good job on their testimonies! I was nervous about being a leader (YCL) and meeting a bunch of new people, but it really wasn't bad. Everyone got along and people made new friendships. I just love any church activity like camp because you're just around with people that believe the same thing, and you don't get that often. All of the leaders did an amazing job and I love them all! I will totally miss a lot of people, but I got some numbers and finding people on facebook. All in all it was a good week and strengthened me to be able to step out of my comfort zone.
Okay, and now I'm gonna write our amazing song for this year written by Sister Allen.
The path we follow in this life, leads to the path that we will follow in the next. So listen to the voice that speaks to you, leadining you, giving you safe passage. This world's a frightening place at times, you may feel all alone walking down this road. Keep moving forward, don't despair, the Lord is always there, you'll know where to go.
Chorus: Oh, the places you will go! Oh, the things you will achieve, you will succeed! Oh, the mountains you will climb, there's no sky that is too high for you to reach.
These are the chapters of your life, they are filled with joy and strife, you just keep moving on. You are steadfast, immovable and strong, piercing the darkness like a Brilliant Dawn! Chorus... Today is your day! You are off and you're away, any way you choose! You know what you know, and you'll decide where to go and what's not for you! Chorus.. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way! Your mountain is waiting, today is your day! Girl, you will move Mountains!
I totally love that song and the person that wrote it! Its amazing!!!!

3 comments:

Paige said...

Hey Jess just wanted to say that ur blog is awesome and it made me feel great that i have such amazing ycls in our stake! I love you! :)

DM said...

Jessica,
I love your blog! I had such a great time getting to know you! I can't wait to see you again. You did an amazing job as a YCL! Btw, it was Sister Draper from the Chardon Ward who gave our talk on Tuesday.
Love you! Sister Lunnen

loriallen said...

You are truly amazing!!! Keep it up!! I love and miss you already!